CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhakir View Post
“It’s not my fault they broke laws or welched on debts.” He folded his arms across his chest in mock indignation. The barkeeper swept up the crown he left on the counter before anyone had a chance to notice it. “And I paid you a fair share for helping me out,” the half-orc reminded her.

Juna smiled genuinely this time. “Aye, that ya did. What can I getcha?”

“A pint of dark ale, and any news that might help me afford more of them.”

It was an expensively uninformative pint. As Malek feared, there were no leads to be had this day. The Seventh Sail saw many patrons so close to the docks, but none that were among Critfumblia’s most wanted. At least none that had caught the barkeep’s attention in the past few weeks. The half-orc settled in at the end of the bar and listened to Juna fill him in on the latest gossip in the dock ward.
Roll a Charisma check. The DC is going to be 12. Your modifier will be +1 for level, +0 for Charisma, +1 for the money and +2 for an established contact, for a total of +4.

More coming, besides.

This will be regarding the rumors and quality of rumors you obtain from your contact.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Rooker obtained his pass for the day in the dwarven quarter. They looked at his staff and implements, and saw no need for claiming or peace-binding any of them. Rooker made his way toward the library. On the edge of his consciousness, he felt a slight ping, as if someone had struck a small silver bell, or stepped on his grave, or he'd just been made.

At the end of the street stood the silver-hemmed seeker in his white monk's robes. Two more of the White Roses stepped out from an alleyway behind him. Another emerged from a doorway nearby. Rooker rolled his eyes. Such a sense of theater. He recognized the White Rose who approached him: Erik Shan. He had bright blue eyes, a long blond ponytail and a cleft chin that would have looked more appropriate on an actor than loaded between the pointed ears of an elf. He was also tall and athletic for an elf.

"Rooker Wolven, acolyte. Shall we step into an alleyway and talk?"

Xiong Fan, Disciple of the Eighteen, you are standing nearby. [Yes, this may seem a little forced, but I'm trying to get you guys together this week and out into the adventure. Work with me, here. The PC halo is in full effect, and for some odd reason, you guys trust each other.] You have your ticket visiting the central library of Dumathoin tucked into your pocket. The monks don't really notice you, as they tend to ignore foreigners from the East. You've learned to use this to your advantage.
Rooker eyed Shan up and down.

"What is it with your family and alleyway conversations? Only last week, I saw your esteemed mother offering private alleyway chats to all and sundry for a mere copper bit. In fact, for me, she accepted credit. Funny, though; I didn't realize an elf could get so old as to lose her teeth."
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Ninja Hyena

Archaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond reputeArchaelos has a reputation beyond repute

"A coincidence is the hand of fate guiding the stone that shall become the avalanche," Xiong Fan muttered to himself, one of his former master's proverbs. He paused to watch the confrontation between the two monks.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Quote:
Roll a Charisma check. The DC is going to be 12. Your modifier will be +1 for level, +0 for Charisma, +1 for the money and +2 for an established contact, for a total of +4.

More coming, besides.

This will be regarding the rumors and quality of rumors you obtain from your contact.
[Charisma Check DC 12 (1d20): 2 + 4 = 6]

Well poop.

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[Charisma Check DC 12 (1d20): 2 + 4 = 6]

Well poop.
Juna says that some suspect pirates are operating again up the coast to the north. Several shipments have gone missing that should have arrived in the last month. A navy ship was sent up to investigate a couple of weeks back. It, too, has gone missing.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Malek stood and stretched, comfortable with the unease that most people felt around someone that appeared to be made of solid muscle. He gathered his cloak and adjusted his sword belt. A few more coins were deposited on the bar before he stepped out into the chill evening air. It was time for a change of scenery. It was time to dig a little deeper, to visit the dark underbelly of Critfumblia and pay his respects. It was time to go see The Black Orchid…
The orc guarding the door was a couple of inches taller than Malek, but shallower in the chest. He had fangs that he bared as he growled.

Malek put his sword, and the most visible of his daggers in an iron lockbox set into the wall, and closed it. Then the orc banged three times on the door, and Malek heard chains rattling and a bolt shot back.

The stairway beyond was lit by torches. A gnome with one eye covered with a patch sat on a stool, and nodded to him, closing the door behind him as he proceeded down the stairs.

After two more locked doors, and a brief, half-hearted frisking, Malek found himself in a plush room filled with silk pillows and the smell of burning opium.

The Black Orchid lay stretched out in all of his naked obese grandeur. His long, oiled black hair was currently being braided by an Eastern girl who couldn't have been more than twelve summers old. He plopped a grape in his mouth from a platter full of fruits and pastries, as he went through the figures in a tome, checking them with an abacus that clicked as he talked.

"Malek! You old scoundrel! Hand me that silk robe over there. No, the red one with the dragons and fairies on it. That one is my favorite. I was just getting a rubdown."

The Black Orchid rose to a sitting position, and Malek looked away as the man covered his enormous girth. It was like covering a whale with a silk sheet.

"There! Now, what can I do for you?"

Old 11-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Rooker eyed Shan up and down.

"What is it with your family and alleyway conversations? Only last week, I saw your esteemed mother offering private alleyway chats to all and sundry for a mere copper bit. In fact, for me, she accepted credit. Funny, though; I didn't realize an elf could get so old as to lose her teeth."
Shan paused in mid-step, then looked at Rooker. Two members of the dwarven watch passed by, hefting their hammers and shields. Rooker saw the seeker move away into the crowd.

Shan smiled wanly.

"Okay, so much for diplomacy. We know you're here on business, Rooker. We'd like to know why. You can tell us now, or we'll ask less politely. Which do you prefer?"

Last edited by Origen; 11-28-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Quote:
The Black Orchid rose to a sitting position, and Malek looked away as the man covered his enormous girth. It was like covering a whale with a silk sheet.

"There! Now, what can I do for you?"
Give me a reason not to turn you in for the sizeable sum on your head? Malek thought to himself.

"I've come to pay you my respects, of course," the half-orc rumbled aloud instead. He never knew what to call someone that had a 'The' in front of an obvious alias. He was pretty sure there wasn't a mother in the world that would name her son something that alluded to a dead flower.

"And...I've come to ask what can I do for you," he added after a suitably courteous pause.

The bounty hunter knew it was risky to offer any kind of services to a man as powerful as The Black Orchid. But times were tough, and money was starting to get tight. Chasing after pirates or a missing naval vessel somewhere up north didn't really appeal. Yet. He wanted to see what work there was locally, even if it wasn't completely on the up and up.

One might question the morals of a man like Malek for chasing down criminals and miscreants for money, then going to the underworld for work. But it gave the bounty hunter a unique insight into the more unsavoury side of the city. Criminals mingled with entrepreneurs and opportunists, and Malek was able to identify with the habits and patterns of those that he hunted. One tended to learn quite a lot by rubbing elbows with one's prey.

Besides, many of the highest paying bounties on criminals were put out by other criminals. It made for strange bedfellows, but Malek was fine as long as he didn't actually trust anybody he worked with. Or for.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
"I've come to pay you my respects, of course," the half-orc rumbled aloud instead. He never knew what to call someone that had a 'The' in front of an obvious alias. He was pretty sure there wasn't a mother in the world that would name her son something that alluded to a dead flower.

"And...I've come to ask what can I do for you," he added after a suitably courteous pause.
"Mmmmm," said Black Orchid thoughtfully. He adjusted himself without any regard for decorum, and farted loudly. "Ah, much better. Well, if I were a petty man, I'd ask you to perform duties in place of the courier you just put in prison for gambling debts. What was his name? I don't remember. Petty criminals all look alike to me."

He shushed away the girl braiding his hair. She picked up the tray, and pouted as she walked out of the room.

"What could you do for me? Well, you don't generally like knuckle-breaking. I have a couple of men who owe me money. I have no doubt you could hunt them down, but that would be like paying a portrait artist to paint my walls. Pure waste of talent. Our illustrious Lord Starhawk has recently increased the tarrifs on dwarven ale to the point where I might as well be paying my porters to haul water from the well. I don't suppose you'd be interested in putting a knife in the back of an elven mage princeling? I'm sure those stories about him obliterating a mountainside with a word and a gesture are purely exaggerations. You know how those elves are, my dear boy? Always telling fictions for the bards to sing about."

Malek reached behind his neck, and produced a T-shaped punch dagger. He proceeded to clean his fingernails with it.

"Show off. What am I paying these bodyguards for, anyway?"

Malek waited for Orchid to get to the point.

"Okay, you drive a hard bargain, Malek. Rumor has it that our illustrious Lord Starhawk is sending another ship up north to look for the missing navy ship, and find out what's going on. It's probably pirates, but he's already lost one armed ship with nothing to show for it. The king is not happy with our little princeling, Starhawk. Navy ships are expensive. This next ship is going to be a former smuggling ship, the Fire Rose. The captain's name is Morgana. She runs a fast boat. Intelligence gathering, in and out. He can't risk any more navy resources until he knows what he's dealing with. And he can't commit any marine troops on a non-navy vessel. So that leaves mercenaries. And that means you. I have an inside man that will make sure you're picked for the job when the call for volunteers goes out. I want to know what happened before any of my competition knows. Your standard finder's fee applies, of course."

Last edited by Origen; 11-29-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 AM
Eerily quiet...

Quote:
"Okay, you drive a hard bargain, Malek. Rumor has it that our illustrious Lord Starhawk is sending another ship up north to look for the missing navy ship, and find out what's going on. It's probably pirates, but he's already lost one armed ship with nothing to show for it. The king is not happy with our little princeling, Starhawk. Navy ships are expensive. This next ship is going to be a former smuggling ship, the Fire Rose. The captain's name is Morgana. She runs a fast boat. Intelligence gathering, in and out. He can't risk any more navy resources until he knows what he's dealing with. And he can't commit any marine troops on a non-navy vessel. So that leaves mercenaries. And that means you. I have an inside man that will make sure you're picked for the job when the call for volunteers goes out. I want to know what happened before any of my competition knows. Your standard finder's fee applies, of course."
Now chasing after pirates or the missing naval vessel somewhere up north had some appeal.

The Black Orchid always paid half up front, and always paid his debts. Usually in advance in the form of favours, but Malek didn't have any saved up with the crime lord yet. This could be a good investment...

"Intelligence gathering," the half-orc rumbled, letting the phrase hang in the air a moment. It was more of a statement than a question. The Black Orchid may always pay his debts in full, but he never told the whole story. Malek waited for the obese man to supply the What's In It For Me part of the arrangement.