CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute
Default House Rules in No Particular Order

This list is ongoing.

1. The Half-Ogre, from Best of Dragon #4, is a valid character race. They can use larger weapons than normal, to be determined at whim rather than systematically.
2. The suicide clause of the Cavalier class from UA is revoked. No, cavaliers do not charge heedless of intelligence or tactics at the largest foe.
3. Barbarians can just track as a ranger of equivalent level, period. What I will probably do on a case-by-case basis is assign a different DC to tracking checks for the Bounty Hunter and the Barbarian, depending on circumstances and setting. I made this house rule before the Bounty Hunter came into play, so while I don't want to totally nerf the Barbarian outside of wild or nature settings, I also would prefer that each character have their sphere.
3b. Barbarians: Their attitude toward magic items will be adjusted according to the individual character, situation and magic or magic items. There are no restrictions on their climbing ability related to nature, although I might assign different DCs to skill checks.
4. The Two-Weapon Fighting rules from Best of Dragon #4 are in play, and either modify or supercede the core rules for TWF.
5. The Bounty Hunter's ability to capture instead of kill may be done without a chance of "accidentally" killing the target. To me, it doesn't add gritty realism to a game where killing is the #1 solution to every problem to make subduing someone riskier than it already was.
6. The following weapons are included as monk weapons, and can be flurried: quarterstaff, bo stick, jo stick.
7. 1st level characters start with maximum hit points.
8. Bounty Hunters are added to the list of character classes with exceptional (percentile) strength.
9. In a lot of ways, I am discouraging Detect Alignment sorts of magic. Nobody actually has any of these abilities, yet, but players should consult with me about this. There will be people who can detect evil. But they can't always act on it. Paladins, for example, might be able to discern that someone is evil, but that doesn't allow them to use their ability as a death sentence. I will work this out as we go.
10. Bounty Hunters have the Snarebuilding secondary ability: Snare Building: This skill allows the bounty hunter to construct deadfalls, pits, and other traps for large and even very large animals and like creatures.
11. Since there is a contradiction between the PHB and the DMG regarding which combat table monks use, the DMG is correct, as per Dragon Magazine #53 page 12, and monks use the cleric/druid combat table.
12. According to the PHB, and Dragon #53, a monk who becomes non-lawful loses all monk abilities and becomes a 1st level character again. This is mind-blowingly stupid, and will never happen in my game.
13. Humans can multi-class. I find the rules for split-classing horrible.
14. Dragons above the "young" category cannot be subdued using the MM subdual rules.
15. Bounty Hunters are considered Rangers for calculating NWP.
16. Multiple monastic and druidic orders exist in the world. I will handle upper-level combats, if those occur, as needed.
17. Bounty hunters get tracking at 3rd level instead of 7th.
18. Martial arts styles: The AC bonus from a martial arts style stacks on top of the normal bonus to AC for monks. As a general rule, for developing custom styles, a style will either be more defensively powerful/less offensive. We are not going to use the Hybrid style rules. You can make a custom martial art, but all custom martial arts will be subject to DM final approval. The hybrid rules tend to make martial arts with advantages but no disadvantages. Check with me for any custom martial arts you want to make.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert

Last edited by Origen; 11-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

To do list:

1. Come up with a suitable replacement for Know Alignment, 4th level Drow ability.
2. Decide if AC bonuses from martial arts overlap or stack on top of monk AC bonuses. - DONE.
3. Secide on a suitable replacement for the Drow's or Illrigger's Know Good ability, or whatever it is.
4. Decide on Intelligence bonus proficiencies (language slots = NWP?). - DONE.
5. Decide about Martial Arts Maneuvers and NWP. - DONE.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert

Last edited by Origen; 11-30-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Martial arts house rules:

1. The following weapons are included as monk weapons, and can be flurried: quarterstaff, bo stick, jo stick.
2. Martial arts styles: The AC bonus from a martial arts style stacks on top of the normal bonus to AC for monks.
3. The Iron Fist striking ability steps up a monk character's unarmed attack by 1 die from 1st level through 8th level by 1 die, and level 9+ by 2 dice.
4. As a general rule, for developing custom styles, a style will either be more defensively powerful/less offensive. We are not going to use the Hybrid style rules. You can make a custom martial art, but all custom martial arts will be subject to DM final approval. The hybrid rules tend to make martial arts with advantages but no disadvantages. Check with me for any custom martial arts you want to make.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Skill and ability checks.

For skill checks, I am going to basically use a modified version of the Castles & Crusades ability checks found on page 122 - 127 of the C&C PHB.

Basically, an ability check/skill check is going to start with a DC of 12 if it is a "primary" ability for your character: Strength or Constitution for fighter/warrior/barbarian types, Dexterity or Intelligence for rogue types, Intelligence for wizard types. This is a broad sort of brush, and I will typically play to a character's strengths.

For example, there are some thief skills that bend more toward intelligence. Some, but not all.

The base DC is 12 or 18, depending on the "primary" or "secondary" nature of the skill check to the character's stated abilities.

The checks are modified by circumstance: if something favors you, you will get a bonus on the check. If something puts you at a disadvantage, you will receive a penalty.

Also, some checks will be modified on the DC on opposed checks. You will receive a bonus to your checks equal to your level. So will NPCs, and some powerful monsters.

If you want to know the DC, ask. There will be times when I tell you exactly. Other times, you will have an idea but not know exactly. Then, I will say, "The DC is about ..."

You may argue for bonuses if you feel they apply.