CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our story begins

Our story begins in the small city-state of Critfumblia. All of you will come together in a tavern on the outskirts of town, near the large eastern gate of the city. You arrive during the day, as the gates are usually shut at night.

Critfumblia is an independent city by the sea. Easily defended from the high hill, the city's strong walls, archers, troops and small but serviceable navy have kept the peace in this area for as long as anyone can remember.

Lord Starhawk, a grey elf of fair and lawful temperment, wields the sword and the wand with equal might. He has ruled the city for many human lifetimes. The leadership of the city is diverse, with dwarves, elves, humans and many other races holding positions of power and influence. The districts in the city are often racially divided, though there are areas like the merchant's quarter and the temple district where many races come together. All gods are welcomed in the temple district so long as they obey local customs and do not cause division amongst the people.

First characters will be 1st level. Race and class are limited to the following: PHB, OA, UA and half-ogres from Best of Dragon #4 or 5 (can't remember which).

First characters will be rolled 3d6 stats, in order:

Strength
Intelligence
Wisdom
Dexterity
Constitution
Charisma

I will post a link to the dice roller.

First characters will die. Just so you know.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 10-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Halfling Kelvin Braithwaite sauntered through the early autumn with a jaunty air. His silver handled cane swung from his long fingers and twirled absentmindedly, but his eyes appeared sharp and quick.

His bespoke gray and brown tweed suit was picked out by a bright red vest, a similarly colored paisley scarf and matching handkerchief in his breast pocket. He checked his pocketwatch, clipping it closed and deftly tossing the small device into his vest pocket.

He looked around expectantly, humming a bit to himself and tapping along with foot and cane accompaniment.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Mouser; 10-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

As he approached the tavern, the grit of the road and the day's travel caught up with him. He coughed and hawked, mustering up all of the dirt and dust within, bound in a generous sheet of phlegm (the dust and dirt triggering the production of more phlegm, which trapped more dust and dirt, thus producing more phlegm, in a positive feedback loop of distressing efficiency). As he parted the doors and entered, his unmistakable and noisy efforts (some might describe the sound as somewhat akin to an elite cadre of trolls engaged in the ritual gang-rape of an owlbear, somewhere in the back of his throat) yielded fruit and he expelled a prodigious ball of gelatinous mucus that sped from his mouth and struck the floor with an audible splat.

"Now... walk! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

He laughed heartily at his own witticsm, looking around for others to join in his mirth, as he dragged his stained sleeve across his mouth and nostrils, policing up most of the stray streams of snot. His hand burrowed unselfconsciously under his breeches to deliver a vigourous scratch to his backside, before heading to his pouch (with a quick detour by his nose for a furtive sniff), withdrawing a couple of coins and slapping the newly-fragrant currency on the wooden counter.

"Ale! And a bed for the night!"
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Chimaera; 10-09-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Kelvin made a signal in Thieves' Can't that indicated he was looking for work and sipped at his Porter. The trencher bread filled with beef stew had gone down well, and he had savored every bite.

He looked at the ill-mannered brute with some concealed distaste, hoping against hope that he might find a job and an open road soon.

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 10-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Ferdinand scoured the room for a seat... as his third ale disappeared, he suddenly felt his hunger and ordered one of those loaves of bread that was hollowed out and had stew in it. Loaf in one hand and flagon in the other, he looked for a place to sit. It almost seemed as if people were squeezing together to make it look like there was no room for him, but he finally found a table occupied by naught but a halfling dressed in sissy clothes. He lurched over, and sat down, plopping down his bowl and flagon sloshily.

"Ho there, half-man! I am Ferdinand!"

His name was accented by a sudden belch which extended the "a". He snorfled a laugh, ladled a handful of stew into his mouth and chewed noisily. In the interests of efficiency, he attempted to eat and converse at the same time:

"So, squirt... what's your name?"
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Chimaera; 10-09-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Kelvin rose slightly to greet his new eating companion in a sort of half bow.

"I am known as Squirt the Halfing in these parts. Please join me for the remainder of your meal. How may I be at your service?" He sat again, thankful he had finished eating, and hoping to be able to keep it down.

"What brings you to this boistrous tavern, Mister Ferdinand, if I may be so bold in my inquiries..."

-Terry Pratchett
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Kelvin rose slightly to greet his new eating companion in a sort of half bow.

"I am known as Squirt the Halfing in these parts. Please join me for the remainder of your meal. How may I be at your service?" He sat again, thankful he had finished eating, and hoping to be able to keep it down.

"What brings you to this boistrous tavern, Mister Ferdinand, if I may be so bold in my inquiries..."
Ferdinand squinted and scowled...

"Boys-truss?!? Oh shit, is it one of those places?!?"

He looked around, re-examining the patrons of the establishment through the lens of this novel intelligence.

He levelled an especially suspicious glare at a table of elves. Faeries indeed.

He turned back to the halfling, a look of concern upon his face.

"Hey... Are you okay? Do you need me to help get you out? You know you don't have to do anything you don't want to."

Last edited by Chimaera; 10-09-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Kelvin looked with new interest and pleasure at his great good fortune.

"Thank you, my friend. Thank you for your offer of help. I do not need rescuing just now. I came here looking to hire a man of just your abilities and moral courage."

-Terry Pratchett
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Kelvin looked with new interest and pleasure at his great good fortune.

"Thank you, my friend. Thank you for your offer of help. I do not need rescuing just now. I came here looking to hire a man of just your abilities and moral courage."
"Hey, woah up there, Squirt! I don't do moral nuthin'! I swing my sword, I carry my pack, I march my road. No funny business! Ferdinand's sword arm is for sale, not his nethers!"

Last edited by Chimaera; 10-09-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Manly and Impulsive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
"Hey, woah up there, Squirt! I don't do moral nuthin'! I swing my sword, I carry my pack, I march my road. No funny business! Ferdinand's sword arm is for sale, not me nethers!"
Kelvin took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

This was going to be more difficult than he had imagined.

"Swing your sword, carry your pack, and march your road for me and I will pay you this many silver coins per day." He held up his hand, fingers outspread, and waited for Ferdintard to count them.

"Double half that if you do especially well." He added, as an incentive.

-Terry Pratchett