CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Selsdrin paused in the air above the planners, considering.

On the one hand, cutting and running was a real possiblity that would save all of their asses. They could report the demon worms to King Starhawk, and he could send some other damned fools to deal with it.

But what if it spread?

The cave was a mystery that had yet to be explained. If they survived escaping the ship full of demon worms, they could double back and investigate, maybe.

Demons were a part of his everyday existence in the Underdark. The Demon Queen of Spiders, whose name he would avoid thinking of even this far from her realm, had spies everywhere. Even aboard ship he had seen cobwebs.

These things derived their power from somewhere. Perhaps there was a portal in the cave? Something was coordinating their actions.

Once the sails were successfully set, he would discuss it with his better educated companions.

"Jerusalem is not a settlement."
-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 03-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
"I admire a brave plan," said Morgana. "Mog and I would have drunk a toast to your bravery, and I would have paid a bard at the tavern to compose a bawdy song where you died with a dozen elven arrows stuck up your arse.

"Now, let's compose a real plan. We are faster than them. We are currently rounding the island, but as soon as we get that sail back up, all we need is distance, and we can put this thrice-damned island and those worm things several leagues behind us."
"We'd get away, but the Fidelity would be able to prey on other ships," Malek rumbled as he continued to row. "Or worse, they could start making raids on land. I'd be much happier to see them go down in flames..."

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...
Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Mouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond reputeMouser has a reputation beyond repute

Selsdrin, confident that the sails were being reset properly left the rest of the work to his Halfling colleagues and climbed down the nearest line hand over hand, landing near the group contemplating their next move.

"Excuse me, Captain. May I make a suggestion?"

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhakir View Post
"We'd get away, but the Fidelity would be able to prey on other ships," Malek rumbled as he continued to row. "Or worse, they could start making raids on land. I'd be much happier to see them go down in flames..."
"As would I," said Morgana, as she watched the sailors hoisting the new sail. "Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to send that ship straight to hell. But, one: that's not our mission. We're not a warship. The only advantage we have on our side is speed. They didn't try to destroy us last time. Only the gods know why. If they'd waited, and caught us in the open water at close range? The Fidelity would have had us. I'm not risking my crew on a fool's gamble.

"And, consider this. If we return, the navy knows what happened. Let THEM hunt the Fidelity down. They're better equipped to do it than we are."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Selsdrin, confident that the sails were being reset properly left the rest of the work to his Halfling colleagues and climbed down the nearest line hand over hand, landing near the group contemplating their next move.

"Excuse me, Captain. May I make a suggestion?"
Morgana turned to Selsdrin, and listened.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 04-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

While Morgana spoke with the mercenaries, Mog stripped down to his breeches. He hefted a light chain shirt onto the deck, along with his shirt and headband.

He stood for a moment by the railing, and appeared to stretch his neck. Xiong Fan knelt near a patient, checking his vital signs. He saw holes in the troll's neck open and close. Fluttering inside the holes were delicate gills, like a fish's. The troll leapt over the side and dropped almost without a sound into the dark water. With powerful strokes, he disappeared.

After a while, the water troll shot up from the depths like a fish. As he breached the surface, Fan saw that the troll's eyes were covered by thin, clear lids that covered his eyes as he swam. The crew dropped a rope ladder, which Mog climbed smoothly.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 04-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Manly and Impulsive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen View Post
Morgana turned to Selsdrin, and listened.
"When we were on the island, a cave was mentioned that was used, at one point, as the base of operations for the demon maggots." At this point he gestured to indicate the group.

"At the time, we decided that warning you and the ship was a higher priority, but now that we have accomplished that task, perhaps we could gain some insights into their origins and weaknesses if we examined the cave with our arcane experts."

He nodded at the team members he was referencing.

"By your leave, Captain... May we have a longboat and crew for a brief investigation?"

He indicated by his stance that he awaited her decision.

-Terry Pratchett
Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
"When we were on the island, a cave was mentioned that was used, at one point, as the base of operations for the demon maggots." At this point he gestured to indicate the group.

"At the time, we decided that warning you and the ship was a higher priority, but now that we have accomplished that task, perhaps we could gain some insights into their origins and weaknesses if we examined the cave with our arcane experts."

He nodded at the team members he was referencing.

"By your leave, Captain... May we have a longboat and crew for a brief investigation?"

He indicated by his stance that he awaited her decision.
Morgana shook her head.

"Not this time, lad. That cave will have to wait. I can't afford to put my ship in line of site with that warship again, and leaving the group of you here is, as far as I can tell, a death sentence I don't want to carry on my conscience. Let the elven navy send their investigators back here and find out what happened."

Mog stood dripping on the deck.

"What did you find, my foul-smelling first mate?" said Morgana.

"Mistress, warm current close. Almost got me."

"So it's strong?"

Mog nodded.

"It's a little bit of guesswork, but it should take us across to the major southernly current east of this island chain. If we can reach that, the Fidelity with her armored hulls can kiss my ass."

Morgana traced her fingers across the map, and looked at the new sail that was almost done.