CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Bastards & Broadswords

Bastards & Broadswords Origen's D&D 5E campaign.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

[OOC]IIRC, there is no such thing as DR in AD&D. Now, magic resistance, that's a thing. I could have sworn that dragons had some.[/OOC]
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Worst. Post. Ever.

Paulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant futurePaulypalooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
[OOC]IIRC, there is no such thing as DR in AD&D. [/OOC]
[OOC]The heavens parted and a great light shown down upon the world of mortal men. A hand reached through the opening with a single finger outstretched and touched the earth. A blast of light emanated from the divine fingertip and from hence forth the world was changed.

there is now homey[OOC]

Why garlic you ask? Garlic don't need no stinkin' reason. - Alton Brown

Nobody dies a virgin. Life fucks us all in the end.-
Kurt Kobain.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
[OOC]IIRC, there is no such thing as DR in AD&D. Now, magic resistance, that's a thing. I could have sworn that dragons had some.[/OOC]
[OOC]

Sigh.

This is just a matter of vocabulary. "Special defenses" was what eventually became DR. Meaning, you needed a magical weapon or somesuch (lyncathropes and silver weapons, for example) to hit them.

Will be posting more shortly.

[/OOC]

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert
Old 11-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Origen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond reputeOrigen has a reputation beyond repute

Scipio withdrew into a world of his own as the carpet flew throughout the night. He tucked the egg under his loose shirt, against his skin, as if warming it. He murmured to the egg in a language Kelvin didn't recognize or understand. Kelvin tried to interrupt, once or twice, but Scipio ignored him, sitting on the carpet and rocking back and forth.

The carpet finally came to a landing in a grassy clearing perhaps an hour before dawn. As soon as they landed, Kelvin knew they were not alone. Hooded figures with bows and spears crept from the darkness. Several aimed their bows at Kelvin, but Scipio tutted, and waved at them. They lowered their bows.

"Behold," said Scipio, "Our lord has returned to us!"

He held the egg in both hands above his head, and the men and women in the clearing bowed to it. Kelvin gasped. Something foul, inside the egg, stirred and rubbed against the inside of the shell. It swirled and shifted itself, and Scipio had to adjust his grip to keep ahold of the egg.

"I thank you, dear Ferdinand," said Scipio, and then corrected himself. "Varley? No? Kevin! I thank you, dear Kevin, for returning this to us. Imagine my dismay when the real Ferdinand showed up at my doorstep and demanded the second half of his payment. I was so embarrassed! I almost didn't have the heart to torture and kill him for insulting me in my own home. Imagine that!"

Kelvin swallowed hard.

"Well, my men certainly delivered! They even bravely gave their lives to put that egg in your hands. What a team, eh?"

He shuffled uncomfortably.

"So, I guess we'll be collecting the rest of the payment owed to us. Naturally, I'll see that the next of kin for the rest of my men receives proper reimbursement. It may be difficult ..."

Scipio stared at him. It made him rather uncomfortable.

" ... I said, it may be difficult to track down all of their families, but that's what a good leader is supposed to do. In the event. In the event of unfortunate losses."

The dark men and women from the shadows disarmed Kelvin without much of a struggle. They took his cane. His lip started quivering.

"Your reward shall be even greater than you know, dear Kevin," said Scipio.

"Kelvin," said the halfling. "My name is Kelvin."

"Whatever. You shall be the first feast when the godling awakens. You succeeded where even master thieves have failed! You shall always be remembered, for the short while this world remains."

Only then did Kelvin scream, but it was far too late.

“And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” - John Steinbeck, East of Eden

"Be orderly in your life, and ordinary like a bourgeois, in order to be violent and original in your works." - Gustave Flaubert

Last edited by Origen; 11-21-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Eatin' ain't cheatin'!

Back at the tower, a dark-robed elf with golden skin plucked the arm of his black silk robe as he watched Gao Shur blast the floor of his lair with cleansing fire.

The elf shook his head.

"You're never going to get the smell out," he said.

Gao Shur bellowed, and strafed across the spot where Ferdinand had melted into goop with another jet of flame.

"I've smelled demons that were less foul," said Gao Shur.

"So a group of relatively petty thieves caught you," said the elf, "how do the humans say? With your pants down?"

Gao Shur glared at the elf.

The elf simply smirked back. Then his face turned grave.

"They have the egg. You know what that means."

"Better than you, half-kin. I know better than all. I was there the last time. We only barely contained it, and we were greater then. We filled the skies with our wings and flames. Bahamut himself fought by our side. So did the Seven. The gods still walked among us. Many of them lent their aid to the battle. Where are the gods now?"

"The mountains are tall, and the gods are far away," said the elf, quoting a proverb the dragon hadn't heard in many years.

"Indeed."

"Will you let the priest and the half-giant live?"

"They were merely victims," said the dragon. "I saw no reason to slay them. They don't even know how they got into my lair, so they can hardly return even if they wished."

"What of the two others?"

"I scraped their remains into a jar of preserving. I can't understand a blasted word that priest says, and I had to put the half-giant through that stone pillar over there when he woke up. He's a feisty one. I will need to raise one or both so that I can find out who they were working for."

"Shall I send out my agents to look for the egg?"

"I imagine it's far away by now. But you might as well."

Old 11-21-2013, 03:55 AM
Eerily quiet...

Rhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant futureRhakir has a brilliant future

[OOC] Well thit... [/OOC]

Necessity is the mother of moral reletivism...