CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > Immortal Desires

Immortal Desires Detritus's GURPS World of Darkness PbP game.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

"Maybe the caution has something to do with the impending meeting with the Garou," says Dee Dee. "We can't really rush them, yet we need to hurry. Could be a tricky situation."

"The reversed Ace of Swords also denotes the possibility of tyranny, in some interpretations," says Anneke.

"Meaning what, exactly?" asks Rebekka.

"We all saw what happened." Rebekka makes to reply again when she is cut short by Gwynnis.

"Can we table any discussion about other matters until we've completed the reading?" the Justicar asks in a tone that brooks no resistance. The sisters subside after making nearly identical tight-lipped faces.

"Thank you. Please continue, Councilor." Meerlinda turns over the fourth card of the reading.

"The receding influence," she says, and then turns over a card bearing your own likeness. You're depicted holding your spear with its point grounded.

"The Page of Wands," the Councilor says. "Curious. The card normally signifies loyalty, courage, and enthusiasm. I should not think that these factors will become less important as events proceed."

"Perhaps it's a warning against over-enthusiasm," Gwynnis muses, "calling attention to the difference between courage and recklessness."

"That would be in keeping with how we got into this mess in the first place, if I'm correct in my understanding of how the rescue mission for Jocelin went down," says Dee Dee.

"That interpretation would also tend to reinforce the caution aspect of the third card," says Meerlinda. "A test of nerve, seeing if we can remain collected if things do not turn out as we wish as quickly as we hope for them to."
Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

"This might mean something of what Dee Dee said, as this card can be a messenger. It is also a sign of youth perhaps, and that New Orleans will be doing a lot of growing up"
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

Meerlinda turns over the fifth card in the reading.

"The Four of Wands, a card of excitement and expectation. Of celebration, and reclaiming one's birthright. A hopeful card, all things considered, especially if we can master our impulsiveness in the initial stages of the endeavor. And yet, it is but the alternate future the cards have laid before us."

A momentary silence descends around the table as the import of the Councilor's words sinks in, and more than one pair of eyes strays towards the final card in the reading.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Rosalyn stays silent also
Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 PM

Meerlinda turns over the sixth card to reveal an inverted image of Gwynnis herself. She holds Caledfwlch in the crook of her arm like a royal scepter, and there is a rose blossom in her hair, over her right ear.

"The Queen of Swords reversed," the Councilor says.

"Mmm, that's me," Gwynnis says, seeming to perk up a bit. "But reversed, that's interesting..." The Justicar trails off, and the Councilor continues in her place.

"The Queen of Swords often represents cunning, wit, and strength and knowledge gained through experience. A survivor, and one who has learned to survive on her own."

"But reversed, and in conjunction with the High Priestess reversed, it suggests that some of Sidana's knowledge lost to Rosalyn might be important in the near future," says Rebekka.

"Could be," Gwynnis says. "Maybe we should try to see what memories of Sidana that Rosalyn might be able to recover for her own."

"That is one possibility," Meerlinda says. "The reversed aspect also suggests that though there will be a number of others with her, the key confrontation with Sidana may have to be with Rosalyn alone. It may well fall to you, and only you, to see that you are ultimately reunited."

"It certainly seems that we won't be able to help, for whatever reason," Gwynnis says as she touches the reversed High Priestess and Queen of Swords.

((The vision will be coming up next -- whenever that will be, it's not written -- but feel free to respond before I post it in the meantime.))

Last edited by Detritus; 02-01-2010 at 02:39 AM. Reason: corrected typo: Bur -> But
Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 AM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

"Reversed . . . it to can relate to thinking more of the heart than the head. Of emotional involvements. It would seem we need to be careful to act with reason even in these times, that we try to balance gains and costs . . . "

Rosalyn looks down a bit, considering the weight of a score and half again Kindred about to be committed to battle to try to continue her existence

Last edited by Kalzazz; 02-06-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 AM

((Go ahead and edit the post above ^ when you have your reply ready. I'm going ahead and posting the first half of the vision/flashback since I managed to write it. There will be some dialog, although that's something I'll handle myself in the remainder of the vision narration.))

Gwynnis lifts her one good eye from her study of the cards to meet your gaze. Despite her injury, she remains the loveliest creature you've ever seen. Your conscious mind begins to shut down as you succumb to the Toreador weakness. Your last coherent thoughts of the present moment are surprise that it catches you off guard every time, and amazement that it doesn't happen more often in your Sire's presence.

You then find yourself at the base of a hill, one you immediately recognize as Glastonbury Tor. In the distance, you can hear the rumble of aircraft delivering ordnance during nighttime bombing raids. Using your spear as a walking staff, your feet seem to drag, weighed down by the burden of the duty you're about to discharge.

Gwynnis walks before you, perhaps ten paces ahead. Her golden hair takes on a silvery sheen from the reflected light of the full moon. She is clad in a sleeveless dress of white linen, and her feet are bare. A glint of reflected moonlight shows that she holds Caledfwlch in the crook of her left arm. She proceeds up the slope at a regal pace, the pride of the warrior queen before whom none can stand radiating from her erect carriage.

Your eyes are drawn next to your Sire's destination. You see Meerlinda standing at the base of the ruins of St. Michael's, the very image of the arcane might of the Tremere. Her placid face betrays none of what she might be feeling about her role in striking down her friend of nearly a millennium, a friendship that began decades before you were even born.

Tearing your eyes away from the unfolding scene, you feel a touch on your left arm. You look over to find Anneke walking next to you, silent yet sympathetic, and draw great comfort from her presence, from the knowledge that it will not be only you and the Councilor there after your Sire's sacrifice. Looking to your right, you see Rebekka walking with you as well. The three of you ascend the hill together in silence, but your steps are lighter knowing that the sisters will be there to share in your grief.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 AM

Default The conclusion of the vision...

Gwynnis continues her stately approach to the crown of the tor until she stands two paces from Meerlinda. Those of you following her stop when she does.

"Who dares to tread upon this hallowed ground?" Meerlinda intones. Gwynnis gives an equally sonorous reply.

"One who may by right of birth and marriage."

"Why do you approach this place?"

"To renew my birthright, that I might stand surrogate to the lawful ruler of this land."

"How would you serve after the renewal of your claim?"

"By making the ancient sacrifice of blood in the defense of the realm."

"What token will you give to show your willingness to make this sacrifice freely?"

"The surrender of my blade, the most potent symbol of rulership in this, the land of my birth."

Suiting her words, Gwynnis lays Caledfwlch flat atop both her palms and makes a slight bow as she offers it up to Meerlinda. The Councilor acknowledges the offering with a minute nod before she takes up the blade by its hilt. She then gestures in your direction with the sword, prompting Gwynnis to come out of her bow and walk downslope to you. Meerlinda follows at a respectful distance. You wheel your weapon around and level its point at your sire's breastbone, but cannot bring yourself to make the needed strike.

"Sidana..."

"Say it not, Sire. I know my duty well enough, yet it never gets any easier."

"I should hope not," Gwynnis replies, managing a smile despite the solemnity of the situation. "I would begin to worry if it did. We spend ourselves as we must," she says wistfully.

"We cannot always control the cup placed before us," Meerlinda says, not unkindly, "only whether we drink from it."

With her free hand, the Councilor produces the Five of Cups. Loss, regret, bereavement... it had been the final card in your sire's reading six nights past. A reading that had begun with the Queen of Swords crossed by Death Reversed, no less; rarely had you seen such a specific and emphatic spread. Your hands tighten on your spear.

"The draught is ever bitter, to say nothing of the dregs."

An especially loud rumble from the east punctuates your statement, and Gwynnis turns her head at the sound. Your resolve strengthens during your sire's momentary distraction, and you're finally able to strike while Gwynnis looks away. Yet even having found a way to spare your sire of the anticipation of your approaching blow, your eyes still sting despite tear ducts atrophied through eight centuries of disuse, and dry sobs escape your throat.

"You must release her, Sidana," Anneke says softly into your ear. Unable to tear your gaze from the sight of your sire wounded by your hand, you realize that you're holding up Gwynnis, who slouches immobile, by your spear. You retract your weapon, allowing Gwynnis to complete her fall, and her blood begins to spill on the ground.

"Ego te absolvo," she whispers to you after she turns to lie on her back. Your heart feels as if it breaks in two as you whirl your weapon to strike repeatedly with its haft. Meerlinda also strikes with all her might using the flat of your sire's blade, and within seconds Gwynnis lies motionless at your feet.

"The ritual is completed at last," Rebekka says softly, "I have felt the potentials we managed to set on Lammas Night activating." It is a cold comfort in the face of having just sent your sire to torpor for what will surely be years to come.

"Yes," Meerlinda replies, and you're surprised to hear her voice crack during that single word. You turn to look at her, and motion far above you catches your eye. You see a man atop the ruins of St. Michael's, dressed in white leather and arrayed in golden mail, and he makes a solemn nod of approval before turning and disappearing into the night.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 AM

((At your option, you may dispense with the reply after the Queen of Swords is revealed, and go straight to post-vision dialog.))

"Where were you?" your sire asks, once you finally snap out of your trance.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Rosalyn looks at Gwynnis long moments before replying taking in that yes her sire is here, still here again

" . . . I was . . . Glastonbury Tor. Back, back when you . . " stops a bit. "Back when Rebekka's story took place"