CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > CriticalFumble.net Community Forums > The Foodies' Kitchen

The Foodies' Kitchen For discussion of recipes, restaurant experiences, cooking techniques, and anything else that can make us better Foodies!

Old 12-31-2015, 02:35 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using an immersion circulator

We've been playing with this at home, sous viding anything that isn't nailed down. Some notes:
  • So far, flavour infusion is not working. Marinating for less than 4 hours seems to make little to no difference. Haven't tried overnighting yet.
  • Chicken breast works best -- salt, pepper, a nob of butter (or a bit of EVOO). It takes an hour or so, but you can sous vide an entire club pack at once, and you have luscious, tender, succulent chicken breast for days. Seriously tasty.
  • Chicken thighs... we have yet to perfect that. Will report on future experiments.
  • Marinade-ineffectuality aside, this really is the best method for prepping chicken for Butter Chicken.
  • The perfect soft-boiled egg remains elusive, even in the immersion circulator.

Not sure if sous vide qualifies as a Kal-approved slacker-cuisine technique. There is no cutting if you don't want to, and you basically just throw things into a plastic sandwich bag, but you do take a bit of care to evacuate and seal the bags. Also, takes more time than a microwave.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Radiation Romeo

Chimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond reputeChimaera has a reputation beyond repute

Today is phase one of Operation: Chicken & Waffles. I am preparing the buttermilk marinade for the boneless, skinless chicken thighs. After marinating for 24(ish) hours, I will sous-vide them for an hour, then I will be double-dredging them in my herbed and seasoned flour mixture, and shallow-fried in a pan (which is to say, not deep fried in a pot of oil, but still mostly immersed in hot oil). In the past, the challenge with the frying has been making sure the chicken is properly cooked, without going too dark on the crust. In this way, the chicken is already par-cooked, and I can focus on an optimal coating in the pan.

I'm going with corn and cheddar for the waffles.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Radiation Romeo

The waffles totally rocked. The chicken...

Mixed.

The marinating seems to work... I prepared it three ways: double dredged in seasoned flour and fried; dredged in flour, egg-washed, then bread-crumbed, then fried; dredged in flour, egg-washed, bread-crumbed and baked. All od them were okay, but not quite right. I need to do this with skin-on, bone-in chicken, I think. But the waffles? The waffles are really, really good.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:30 AM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

So whats an immersion circulator and how do you clean it? This intrigues me greatly

The idea of boneless skinless chicken thighs not being ultimately glorious really surprises me, I've always liked them much better than breasts
Old 01-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Radiation Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
So whats an immersion circulator and how do you clean it? This intrigues me greatly
The beauty of the immersion circulator is that it requires no cleaning. Intrigued? It's not a fast method of cooking, but it's pretty clean and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
The idea of boneless skinless chicken thighs not being ultimately glorious really surprises me, I've always liked them much better than breasts
I too favour chicken thighs. This isn't a failing of the ingredient, but rather of my problem solving. Research can involve numerous failures before one arrives at success.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:17 PM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I am accustomed to that while 100 studies may fail before 1 produces the desired results, those hundred are never heard from

I look forward to hearing more
Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 PM
Relentless

Stephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond reputeStephane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
[*]The perfect soft-boiled egg remains elusive, even in the immersion circulator.
What is your definition of a perfect soft-boiled egg?