CriticalFumble.net Forums  

Go Back   CriticalFumble.net Forums > Play-by-Post Games > The Illumination of Madness

The Illumination of Madness BlueNinja's play-by-post game.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Mad Scientist in Training

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of
Exclamation The Preliminaries

For starters: Genius: The Transgression is a fan-written line as part of the new World of Darkness. The PDF of Genius rules is free to download; that and the core nWoD book are all that is required. A general familiarity with the other nWoD lines (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Hunter, Promethean) is helpful but not required. I have not yet decided on a firm number of player slots, but it will probably be between 4 and 8. More specifics on character creation will be posted later. The game will be play-by-post, with die roles done through http://invisiblecastle.com/ (it gives helpful URLs for dice rolls that are stored for several days). All PCs will be Geniuses, as written in the book; no other supernatural PCs are allowed at present.

I will be your friendly neighborhood GM, and welcome all interested parties to start reading through the Genius book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Say I'm an egotistical douche. Say I am ridiculously stubborn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTSBOE View Post
Why can't junk be off limits for medical affliction?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 PM

BlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud ofBlueNinja has much to be proud of

The campaign will begin in Las Vegas; whether characters are from there, or move, is up to them. Everyone will start with a small amount of XP (no more than 10) depending on their backstory/writeup (which can be spent as soon as a PC is approved). Two of the seven Merit dots will be assigned by me after character creation as a representation of what brought everyone to Vegas. I'm still going through some of the nWoD books, so when I'm done with that, I'll post up character creation guidelines.

Anyone who's read through the Genius book, who is interested in joining the game, feel free to post a 1-2 paragraph synopsis of your concept (including Peerage or rogue, and catalyst type). I encourage collaboration during chargen to make for a more connected party.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-20-2011, 02:35 AM
King of Guinea Pig Hill

Kalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond reputeKalzazz has a reputation beyond repute

How many people do you have?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

I'm interested, but it'll be late Tuesday/early Wednesday before I can even touch getting started. If that's all right, I'll plan on scanning the books and posting a concept then.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:12 PM

So far, I only have two people who've expressed definite interest (well, three with Bael). I will be putting up actual character creation guidelines this week.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Little dog in a big world

Cranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to beholdCranky Dog is a splendid one to behold

Well if places are still available, I'm very willing to give it a shot.

Our last PbP Scion game didn't last past the intro scene.

Cranky Dog
"They called my opinion mad, mad I tell you, international!"
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM

This is a game of science. Not regular science, but mad science, or maybe even Science! The players will be taking the part of mad scientists, Inspired by their gift and the Mania of pure creation. When selecting your concept, think of a good mad science one. This does extend past the "obvious" concepts to include social science, biology, economics, though most geniuses can still tinker and build things with the best of them. Also, the characters will have a home base of sorts in Las Vegas, so characters with an allergy to sunlight aren't going to be a good choice. :wink:

Attribute selection is the same as core rules, 5/4/3 by category.

Skill selection is the same, 11/7/4. The fifth dot does not take two points worth to buy, unlike core rules. You receive four skill specialties, but may only have one per skill.

When adding the Genius template, you receive a free dot for any Mental attribute. This can take you up to five dots. Based on your Catalyst (Grimm, Hoffnung, Klagen, Neid, Staunen; pg 46-60) write down your first favored Axiom. If your character is part of one of the Peerage Foundations (Directors, Artificers, Navigators, Scholastics, Progenitors; pg 104-130), write down your second favored Axiom based on your Foundation, then pick your third. If your character is a rogue, pick any two other favored Axioms. Remember that these favored Axioms cannot be changed, so decide what sort of Wonders your Genius will be best at designing and choose wisely.

When selecting Merits, you receive only five dots of Merits. The other two dots of Merits will be assigned during the first storyline. Remember that when taking Resources, a Genius must specify where their money is coming from (see pg 88), and ensure their cash flow is not interrupted. In addition, Geniuses do not have Retainers, they have Beholden; they have Laboratories, not Havens; they cannot have Unseen Sense (as the illumination of their Genius makes it more difficult to connect to the supernatural world); and regular human (ie not fellow Geniuses) Allies, Contacts, or Mentors might become problematic if the Genius cannot keep them from their experiments. If the character is in a Foundation, they can have Status of no more than two dots. Other than these exceptions, any Merits from the core WoD book are acceptable, as well (obviously) as any Merits from the Genius book. Don't forget that Inspiration is a Merit for point-buy purposes.

Select your Virtue and Vice. Change Morality to Obligation (pg 84). If you choose to sell down your starting Obligation, you receive 7 XP to drop from 7 to 6, and 15 XP to drop from 7 to 5. Either way, you automatically gain the derangement from your Catalyst. All characters also receive 5 XP to start with. Any experience does not have to be spent at the start of the game, but any purchases after game start must follow regular advancement rules. See pg 87 for the experience costs. Depending on the backstory writeup of a PC, up to an additional 5 XP will be granted.

When building your first Wonders, look at some of the example one and two dot Wonders for each Axiom - a good chunk of appendix A (pg 397). However many Wonders you intend to start with, they must be from your favored Axioms. Don't forget to combine your Axioms for your first Wonders, as well - Metaptropi for normal-looking; Automata for self-controlling or automated Wonders; Exelixi for self-repairing; Prostasia for more durablility; Skafoi for transportation. Remember you get a maximum of five rolls to construct your wonders.

Set your maximum Mania (based on your Inspiration; pg 79), and subtract as many points as you successfully built Wonders (ie, one rank-2 Wonder and a rank-1 Wonder = 3 points of Mania). Subtract points for any Orphans you purchased with the merit. Subtract one point if you're part of a Foundation. However many points remaining are your available Mania. Mania is used for a number of things, most notably boosting Mental attributes and enhancing technology (pg 81).

All dice rolls should be done through www.invisiblecastle.com and the URL for the die roll should be added into your post (either linked with the text or as a footnote). I'll post up an example of step-by-step character creation, two Wonders, as well as a paragraph or two example of how I want to see die rolls.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM

As promised, an example.

Step one, of course, is concept - what sort of person your Genius is, their strengths and weaknesses and your plans for their future. During this step, it is somewhat important to decide what kinds of Wonders your PC will be best at building - Favored Axioms are easier to use, though any Genius can learn any Axiom. So, the example character is Richard duMourne, a former investigative reporter, who got a little too close to mad science doing research, enough that he has bent his mind to discovering the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNinja View Post
Attribute selection is the same as core rules, 5/4/3 by category.
For a reporter, Social skills are most important, followed by Mental. 5 dots in Social gives Presence 3, Manipulation 3, and Composure 2. 4 dots in Mental gives Intelligence 2, Wits 2, and Resolve 3. 3 dots in Physical gives Strength 1, Dexterity 3, Stamina 2.

Quote:
Skill selection is the same, 11/7/4. The fifth dot does not take two points worth to buy, unlike core rules. You receive four skill specialties, but may only have one per skill.
Changing around the skills a little bit, this time Mental will be primary, with Social secondary and Physical still last. 11 dots of Mental skills get put as follows: Academics 3, Investigation 4, Science 1, Politics 1, Crafts 1, Occult 1. 7 dots of Social skills get assigned: Expression 3, Empathy 2, Streetwise 1, Subterfuge 1. 4 dots of Physical skills: Larceny 3, Stealth 1. These skills lead to a determined reporter, good at uncovering facts (though no Sherlock Holmes at putting them together), who avoids conflict in favor of convincing others. His skill specialties are Research (Academics), Body Language (Investigation), Security Systems (Larceny), and Newspaper Articles (Expression).

Quote:
When adding the Genius template, you receive a free dot for any Mental attribute. This can take you up to five dots. Based on your Catalyst (Grimm, Hoffnung, Klagen, Neid, Staunen; pg 46-60) write down your first favored Axiom. If your character is part of one of the Peerage Foundations (Directors, Artificers, Navigators, Scholastics, Progenitors; pg 104-130), write down your second favored Axiom based on your Foundation, then pick your third. If your character is a rogue, pick any two other favored Axioms. Remember that these favored Axioms cannot be changed, so decide what sort of Wonders your Genius will be best at designing and choose wisely.
Since Richard gained his Illumination through a desire for further knowledge and a desire to uncover secrets, he is a pretty clear Staunen. His extra Mental dot will go into Resolve; he's not the smartest Genius around, but he has determination. His favored Axiom from his Catalyst is Apokalypsi, the Axiom of Discovery. With his discovery, Richard found the Peerage, and after a little bit of work, applied to (and was accepted by) the Center for Circumferential Navigation. Their favored Axioms are Katastrofi (Destruction) or Skafoi (Travel), and Richard choose Skafoi. For his third Axiom, he picks Metaptropi, the Axiom of Transformation. Thus, his three favored Axioms are Apokalypsi, Skafoi, and Metaptropi. With three dots to assign among those three, he puts two into Skafoi, and one into Metaptropi.

Quote:
When selecting Merits, you receive only five dots of Merits. The other two dots of Merits will be assigned during the first storyline. Remember that when taking Resources, a Genius must specify where their money is coming from (see pg 88), and ensure their cash flow is not interrupted. In addition, Geniuses do not have Retainers, they have Beholden; they have Laboratories, not Havens; they cannot have Unseen Sense (as the illumination of their Genius makes it more difficult to connect to the supernatural world); and regular human (ie not fellow Geniuses) Allies, Contacts, or Mentors might become problematic if the Genius cannot keep them from their experiments. If the character is in a Foundation, they can have Status of no more than two dots. Other than these exceptions, any Merits from the core WoD book are acceptable, as well (obviously) as any Merits from the Genius book. Don't forget that Inspiration is a Merit for point-buy purposes.
With five dots to spend, Richard has to choose wisely. He puts one dot to Resources (Private Job), reflecting that he is still writing articles for newspaper or magazine publication. Another single dot goes to Language (Spanish), sufficient to cover his classes in high school that he uses occasional. The last three dots go to boost his Inspiration to 2 dots.

Quote:
Select your Virtue and Vice. Change Morality to Obligation (pg 84). If you choose to sell down your starting Obligation, you receive 7 XP to drop from 7 to 6, and 15 XP to drop from 7 to 5. Either way, you automatically gain the derangement from your Catalyst. All characters also receive 5 XP to start with. Any experience does not have to be spent at the start of the game, but any purchases after game start must follow regular advancement rules. See pg 87 for the experience costs. Depending on the backstory writeup of a PC, up to an additional 5 XP will be granted.
As an investigative reporter, Richard's Virtue is Justice - he writes to help uncover wrongs. His Vice, closely related, is Pride - the recognition that comes with his writing is almost as important. His Obligation remains at 7 - he didn't do anything particularly heinous when he Catalyzed - and therefore qualifies as a Paragon, gaining +1 to Social rolls when acting as an authority figure. His Jabir penalty (drawback of Inspiration) applies a -1 to all rolls, though, whenever he attempts to communicate anything related to his gifts, Axioms, or other mad science. He spends his 5XP on the first dot in Apokalypsi.

At this point, his character sheet should look like this:
Int 2 / Wit 2 / Res 4
Str 1 / Dex 3 / Sta 2
Pre 3 / Man 3 / Com 2

Academics 3 (Research), Investigation 4 (Body Language), Science 1, Politics 1, Crafts 1, Occult 1.
Expression 3 (Newspaper Articles), Empathy 2, Streetwise 1, Subterfuge 1.
Larceny 3 (Security Systems), Stealth 1.

Resources 1 (Private Job), Language 1 (Spanish).

* Apokalypsi 1
* Metaptropi 1
* Skafoi 2

Health 7
Willpower 6
Inspiration 2
Max Mania 12 (current: 11, no Wonders yet rolled)
Obligation 7
Size 5 (human default)
Speed 9
Defense 2
Armor 0
Initiative Mod 5
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
When building your first Wonders, look at some of the example one and two dot Wonders for each Axiom - a good chunk of appendix A (pg 397). However many Wonders you intend to start with, they must be from your favored Axioms. Don't forget to combine your Axioms for your first Wonders, as well - Metaptropi for normal-looking; Automata for self-controlling or automated Wonders; Exelixi for self-repairing; Prostasia for more durablility; Skafoi for transportation. Remember you get a maximum of five rolls to construct your wonders.
So, with his Axioms decided, it's time for Mr. duMourne to decide on some Wonders. These Wonders are constructed during your character's Catalyzation, or during their first few weeks as a new Genius; no one has been Inspired for more than one month. After some thought and hanging out with the Navigators, he decides to go with Digital Chrome (the Tron look) for his asthetic.

For his first Wonder, Richard decides to get a set of Mechanical Wings (pg 406). This wonder requires Skafoi 2 (which he has), and he can make them Normal-Looking with Metaptropi 1 (pg 152), so that his wings (when not deployed) resemble a large trenchcoat. To roll for its construction, he will be rolling Inspiration + Intelligence + Crafts + Labratory Equipment + Beholden Ability - Wonder Rank + 1 (if favored Axiom). So, Inspiration 2 + Intelligence 2 + Crafts 1 + Lab Equipment 0 + Beholden Ability 0 - Rank 2 + 1 (starting Wonders will all have +1, since they're all from your favored Axioms) - (1 for each dot Resources is lower than Wonder Rank). 2 + 2 + 1 - 2 + 1 -1 = 3. So, he rolls three dice, coming up 7, 9, 8. (If any dice had come up on 10, they would have been re-rolled for possible extra successes.) With two successes, his wings are built. The GM (conveniently me) then rolls on the Fault table (pg 264-268), to get #7 on the Skafoi list: Any time the wonder takes damage, it has a 10% chance to stall out, meaning Richard will have to make a very fast Wits+Crafts roll to avoid plummeting to his death. Since it looks "normal", when not deployed, it resembles a large, black trench-coat, in an almost KGB cut. When deployed, it is a giant pair of black wings growing from his shoulders, with glowing maroon-colored lines where wing-bones would be on a bird or bat. Since wings are size 5, so it has a Durability of 2, and a Structure of 7.

As a second Wonder, Richard decides to build an Apokalypsi scanning device to read electronic data storage devices. He wants it to have a greater range, of up to 1 mile (+1 core modifier, pg 157), but to balance that out, it is smaller than usual, being about the size of a Kindle (-1 core modifier as per pg 154). Since he can add Normal Looking for free, he does, and then adds up the dice - Inspiration 2 + Intelligence 2 + Computers 0 - Rank 1 + Favored Axiom 1 - 0 Resources = 4 dice. The dice come down 9, 6, 2, 5 for one success - enough to build it. The fault for an Apokalypsi comes up as 5 - when used for more than 10 minutes, it inflicts a -1 penalty to all perception checks. While around the size and shape of a Kindle, it's a smooth, black metal box, with an LCD screen and a glowing red keypad, wrapped up in a leather cover. It's rather small, only size 1, so it has a Durability of 1 and a Structure of 2.

Technically, Richard has three more rolls left for his Wonders. But, he decides he doesn't need any more. What he will do, though, is try to change the fault on his wings (pg 146), since the thought of falling out of the sky doesn't appeal to him. He makes the same die roll as when he created his Wonder, only this time, he decides to take a little extra time, taking an entire week to fiddle with it (pg 138) and gain a +1 to the roll. Rolling 4 dice this time, he gets 3, 5, 4, 8 and one success is all he needs to try and change the fault. This time, the fault roll comes up on a 5 - all actions other than piloting the craft are at a -3 penalty. Richard thinks this is acceptable (at least, it's not likely to kill him) and thus, has all of his starting Wonders created.

While the rulebook does allow you to spend Mania and Willpower to enhance your die roll, that's only really effective if the Genius will continue straight from creation into the storyline - which isn't the case here. Therefore, if you decide to spend Mania (+1 per point) or Willpower (+3 per point) they will remain spent at the beginning of the game.

Quote:
Set your maximum Mania (based on your Inspiration; pg 79), and subtract as many points as you successfully built Wonders (ie, one rank-2 Wonder and a rank-1 Wonder = 3 points of Mania). Subtract points for any Orphans you purchased with the merit. Subtract one point if you're part of a Foundation. However many points remaining are your available Mania. Mania is used for a number of things, most notably boosting Mental attributes and enhancing technology (pg 81).
This lowers his available Mania from 11 to 8. (12 max, -1 for Peerage membership, -2 for Wings, -1 for Scanner)

Quote:
All dice rolls should be done through www.invisiblecastle.com and the URL for the die roll should be added into your post (either linked with the text or as a footnote).
My dice rolls above for the Wonders are a good way to post them. If posting in character, another good way to do so is in double parenthesis ((for out of character text)) with the link.

So, that's all. If anyone wants to go for shared Merits, such a combined Laboratory or Beholden group, please specify who you're combining with. If anyone has further questions about character creation, please post them and I will answer as swiftly as I can.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Ailing Ninja

Baelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant futureBaelfyre has a brilliant future

Ok, I managed to get about a third through the book tonight. I'll work on it again tomorrow. Vague thoughts of a steam based genius who thinks things went bad at the invention of gasoline based internal combustion or a mathematician who has discovered theorems proving that space is an illusion, creating a point of 'null space' that has variable x,y,z dimensions.