View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Trade-Bot 5000, the Prime Mover

Detritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond reputeDetritus has a reputation beyond repute

"It's as much your story as Rebekka's," says Gwynnis. "Perhaps even more so."

"Whatever it was that happened, your reliving it was like hearing a psychic siren go off," says Dee Dee.

"It did cap off a rather remarkable stretch of seven or eight weeks," Anneke replies, and you notice that she relaxed her white-knuckled grasp of the table while she spoke.

"We would do well to remember that Sidana is just as psychically sensitive as Rosalyn," says Meerlinda.

"You don't think she's been alerted to the fact of this reading, do you, Councilor?" asks Gwynnis. "Or of Rosalyn's presence?"

"It is a possibility," replies Meerlinda. "We should proceed." She turns over the lowest card in the staff to reveal a hand coming out of a cloud and gripping a staff that still has leaves on it.

"The Ace of Wands, a card signifying creative force, initiating new endeavors, and abandoning outmoded ways of thinking. Enthusiasm, courage, and confidence are the hallmarks of this card. While patience is indicated in prior cards, when the time comes to make your move, do so decisively, and without hesitation, even if your conclusion suggests an action you would not normally take. If this is so, do not second-guess your conclusion."

Meerlinda turns over the second card in the staff, revealing the Queen of Cups Reversed. You're not sure how you know, but you feel certain that the image is that of Queen Anne, the Prince of London.

"The outside influences," the Councilor says. "When reversed, the Queen of Cups can signify a psychic blockage. I would read it thus, when paired with the reversed Queen of Swords."

"It can also indicate intrigue and scandal," Anneke says with a rather pointed affectation of casualness. Rebekka's jaw clenches and Gwynnis rolls her eyes.

"Come now, there are only two cards left in the reading," the Justicar says, "once they're revealed we can move on to other matters."

Turning over the third card in the staff, Meerlinda reveals the Wheel of Fortune.

"Undoubtedly, the retrieval operation is a key juncture in the campaign to keep New Orleans under Camarilla control. Decisive action properly timed might well tip the balance in our favor."

"Fortune favors the bold," Dee Dee says, prompting Gwynnis to quirk an eyebrow at her. "I saw it on a TV show once," she says a bit defensively.

"A valid summary," says Meerlinda. "Prudent preparations are also important. Luck is the residue of design."

"The Wheel can also represent personal vision," Gwynnis says, "an increase in personal awareness. Another point on the memory-recovery ledger, I would say."

"Agreed," replies Meerlinda. She reaches for the final card in the spread and turns over the Seven of Pentacles Reversed.

"In light of the balance of the other cards in the reading, I would say the Seven of Pentacles Reversed is a warning of impending failure in the absence of proper preparation. Yet it may be difficult to determine exactly which avenues to pursue; thoroughness is called for."

"Be thorough without second-guessing ourselves, and decisive yet patient," Gwynnis says sardonically. "Is that all we have to do? Should be a breeze."

"If we can successfully navigate all the pitfalls, then the alternative outcome of the Four of Wands will be ours," replies Meerlinda.