CriticalFumble.net Forums

CriticalFumble.net Forums (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/index.php)
-   The Foodies' Kitchen (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Using an immersion circulator (http://www.criticalfumble.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51171)

Chimaera 12-31-2015 02:35 PM

Using an immersion circulator

We've been playing with this at home, sous viding anything that isn't nailed down. Some notes:
  • So far, flavour infusion is not working. Marinating for less than 4 hours seems to make little to no difference. Haven't tried overnighting yet.
  • Chicken breast works best -- salt, pepper, a nob of butter (or a bit of EVOO). It takes an hour or so, but you can sous vide an entire club pack at once, and you have luscious, tender, succulent chicken breast for days. Seriously tasty.
  • Chicken thighs... we have yet to perfect that. Will report on future experiments.
  • Marinade-ineffectuality aside, this really is the best method for prepping chicken for Butter Chicken.
  • The perfect soft-boiled egg remains elusive, even in the immersion circulator.

Not sure if sous vide qualifies as a Kal-approved slacker-cuisine technique. There is no cutting if you don't want to, and you basically just throw things into a plastic sandwich bag, but you do take a bit of care to evacuate and seal the bags. Also, takes more time than a microwave.

Chimaera 01-05-2016 05:54 PM

Today is phase one of Operation: Chicken & Waffles. I am preparing the buttermilk marinade for the boneless, skinless chicken thighs. After marinating for 24(ish) hours, I will sous-vide them for an hour, then I will be double-dredging them in my herbed and seasoned flour mixture, and shallow-fried in a pan (which is to say, not deep fried in a pot of oil, but still mostly immersed in hot oil). In the past, the challenge with the frying has been making sure the chicken is properly cooked, without going too dark on the crust. In this way, the chicken is already par-cooked, and I can focus on an optimal coating in the pan.

I'm going with corn and cheddar for the waffles.

Chimaera 01-08-2016 10:15 PM

The waffles totally rocked. The chicken...

Mixed.

The marinating seems to work... I prepared it three ways: double dredged in seasoned flour and fried; dredged in flour, egg-washed, then bread-crumbed, then fried; dredged in flour, egg-washed, bread-crumbed and baked. All od them were okay, but not quite right. I need to do this with skin-on, bone-in chicken, I think. But the waffles? The waffles are really, really good.

Kalzazz 01-09-2016 01:30 AM

So whats an immersion circulator and how do you clean it? This intrigues me greatly

The idea of boneless skinless chicken thighs not being ultimately glorious really surprises me, I've always liked them much better than breasts

Chimaera 01-09-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalzazz (Post 515219)
So whats an immersion circulator and how do you clean it? This intrigues me greatly

The beauty of the immersion circulator is that it requires no cleaning. Intrigued? It's not a fast method of cooking, but it's pretty clean and easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalzazz (Post 515219)
The idea of boneless skinless chicken thighs not being ultimately glorious really surprises me, I've always liked them much better than breasts

I too favour chicken thighs. This isn't a failing of the ingredient, but rather of my problem solving. Research can involve numerous failures before one arrives at success.

Kalzazz 01-09-2016 03:17 PM

Sorry, I am accustomed to that while 100 studies may fail before 1 produces the desired results, those hundred are never heard from

I look forward to hearing more

Chimaera 01-09-2016 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalzazz (Post 515241)
Sorry, I am accustomed to that while 100 studies may fail before 1 produces the desired results, those hundred are never heard from

I look forward to hearing more

Heh :)

I am a big believer in publishing null findings.

Kalzazz 01-09-2016 03:43 PM

So is it like this thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary...ion+circulator

So the food goes in the storage tote and the device goes in to the tote like an aquarium heater and is filled with water?

It doesn't melt the tote and how doesn't it get dirty?

I am not quite following

Chimaera 01-09-2016 04:26 PM

Mine is indeed very much like it (also Anova). You clamp the cylinder into a pot of water, while the foodstuffs go into plastic bags, that you evacuate and seal. The immersion circulator never interacts with anything other than water. You drain it and lay it out to dry, but no real cleaning is needed.

EDIT -- To clarify: the cylinder keeps the water in the pot at a very specific temperature, with very, very little variance. The food is bagged (for example, chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper, with perhaps a little olive oil added -- the bag is then lowered into the water slowly, to push the air out, and you seal it before you finally drop it in), and sits in the water bath as such. This is very much like boil-in-bag, but you're not boiling the water.

Maristo 04-01-2016 11:57 PM

I just bought one of these, and made a homemade corned beef brisket for Easter that I brined for a week and then cooked for 30 hours. Fantastic!